And HERE is her Outline of the whole thing that she gave in an Eduction week.
But I was gonna share just a few things that I got out of her visit to Fargo. Here's what I learned:
Notes from March 2012- RS + Meeting with Carrie Wrigley
It's not IF but when tribulations come that I need to be fortified. God knows there would be calamities in the world (D&C 1:17) but He has made a plan for me "that ye may bear it" (1 Cor 10:13)We all respond to challenges we face. Most people face them with the ADASA Reponse.
A- nxiety
D- epression
A- nger
S- tress
A- ddiction (can include food, shopping, workaholic, etc)
These are realistic, understandable responses but they can be destructive! But there is another way! It's what Carrie calls the Emotional Wellness Response. It includes Building Blocks that can help us survive and even thrive in challenging times! There are Physical, Mental, Social and Spiritual Blocks we must build on to be fortified!
Physical Wellness
Principle 1: Nourishment
I loved this part!! She talked a lot about the Word of Wisdom and how it really is designed to not only keep my body healthy but also my mind (like less depression)! The brain is a physical organ that needs the right kind of fuel to function properly. I never really have connected that keeping the food part of the Word of Wisdom would help my mental health as well. Dang! Got to step up my fruits, veggies and whole grains. LOL She talked about the rewards we get from keeping the Word of Wisdom like health, wisdom/knowledge, energy and protection. But that I must be willing to live the whole law to reap the whole reward!
Principle 2: Activity
I hate this one! LOL Ok- I don't but I'm not very good at it! or at least the "exercise" part of it! She talked about in order to be mentally well, I need to keep my chemical balances in check. God has created our amazing bodies and programed them to properly balance themselves IF I do my part. That part includes eating right and getting enough physical activity to create the "right" balances. My favorite quote from the Conference came from this part. She talked about turning off the TV and the Computer and actually getting out there and living. She said basically her advise is to "Get a Life!" I love it!
Principle 3: Rest
To help with my wellness I need the proper daily and weekly rest. DAILY (D&C 88:124)- "cease to sleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and your minds may be invigorated." WEEKLY- (D&C 59:10)- "For verily this is a day appointed unto you to rest from your labors, and to pay thy devotions unto the Most High". So true! So hard but so true!
Mental Wellness
Principle 1: Input
I need to put the proper stuff into my mind as well as my body. I need to make a sort of "Word of Wisdom" for the mind and follow the same rules! Fill it more with the beautiful "recommended" things!
Principle 2: Creativity
I am a child of a CREATOR! That's what He designed me for! I need to create more than I consume to be happy! It's not just about crafty stuff but about adding to the world rather than always taking from it!
Principle 3: Perspective
Basically the attitude of gratitude section! Yeah! It's what I focus on that really matters. A lot of time when I am sad I choose to focus on the tiny little problem (which seems humongous in the midst of it) rather than focusing on the big picture. Which totally reminded me of a post that my friend put on her blog recently that made me cry. Not a bad cry just a thought-provoking one. Thanks Becky! You're awesome!
Social Wellness
I am a HUGE advocate for this section! I love to be social-ly well! LOL
Principle 1: Connections
From the time of Adam and Eve, we have been told that it is not good for us to be alone As human beings we need people. We need friends! Like real "I can reach out and touch you" people not the "so-and-so made a new comment" people. Scary how that has changed so much in the world today!
Principle 2: Simplicity
Focus on the basics. I need to simplify my life in regards to my time as well as my money. We've been counseled forever to get out of debt and also to choose the best part! So simple really! LOL
Principle 3: Respect
This is the "don't compare" section. So often I become unhappy because I am too busy coveting what someone else has or is. We all have different skills, talents, and gifts. We all play a roll in making this a wonderful place. I need to respect and enjoy that!
Spiritual Wellness
Principle 1: Direction
I tend to seek after worldly direction (friends, family, doctors, medication) to my problems. But I also and more importantly need divine direction. It's like a row boat- I need to use both paddles to forge ahead. Pray to Him that has ALL the answers!
Principle 2: Meaning
I need to be willing to find meaning in my life and in my challenges. There's always a purpose for things that happen to me! "All things will work together for thy good"
Principle 3: Faith
I need to anchor my faith in Christ and come unto him! Something she pointed out was the fact that when Christ was suffering, he turned to his Father more earnestly. In Luke 22:44 it says, "And being in an aagony he prayed MORE earnestly." The most important thing I can do in hard times is to open my heart to God! Praying MORE in times of agony is what Christ himself did! If that's the case then it's probably even more important for me!
These building blocks are to be a anchor for living WELL in good times and especially in challenging times! I pray that I will be willing to take what I know (and have learned or continue to learn) to experience the best life that I possibly can! And make my Father in Heaven proud of me!
What a great day for learning and spending time with my Fargo girlfriends!
As a side-note: She quoted several time President Ezra Taft Benson's talk "Do Not Despair". Such a great resource!

No comments:
Post a Comment